Memorial to the Pioneer Women of the Western Reserve
(Wickham, 1896)

Pioneer Women of Liverpool, Medina County, 1811-1835


Transcribed by Dean Richmond
Text format has been modified from the original document for the convenience of reading on the web page.

**The printed document requires about 8 pages.


About twenty-four miles southwest of Cleveland on the C.L. & W.R.R. is the station of Liverpool. A walk of a mile and half on a good stone flagging brings the traveler in view of the village nestling among the hills in the valley of Rocky River.

In 1810 Justus Warner and Mr. Warden of Waterbury, Conn. came to Liverpool and bought land of Mr. Coit. On which valuable salt sprigs were located. In the winter of 1801, Justus Warner came with his son Alpheus and wife Minerva, and Moses Deming. After Mr. Deming has selected his farm, he and Mr. Warner returned to bring their families. Minerva Warner was the only white woman in the township during that winter.

Moses Deming and Ruth Warner, his wife, has previously moved from Waterbury Conn. to the far west, and settled on the shore of Skaneateles Lake in the state of New York.

From there they moved in a wagon drawn by oxen and one horse, and driving several head of young cattle. The roads, if they could be called such, were terrible. The wagon and team were seldom all out of a mudhole at once, and in a few places the bed of the wagon dragged in the mire. He sold wooden clocks and wheelheads along the route, thus paying their expenses.

When they reached Cleveland, Gov. Huntington urged him to buy a city lot, where the court house stands, containing one and a fourth acres for sixty dollars, taking his pay in a clock and such articles as he had to sell, but Mr. Deming, having an eye for farming, could not be induced to settle in a sickly place, where the land was too poor to raise white beans. They arrived in Liverpool May, 1811, after a journey of eighteen days.

In the following June, Mrs. Minerva Warner gave birth to Sally Warner Urania, the first white child born in Medina County. She afterwards became the mother of three sons, Heli, Eri, and Charles.

The same spring brought Justus Warner and Urania, his wife, with their family, consisting of Aaron, Adna, Justus Jr. and Joanna. The last named became the wife of Seth Warden. Her sister Roxanna who remained for a time in Connecticut, became his second wife.

Urania Warner was a great nurse, and was often called to care for the sick. Only this much can be learned about her. Her life seems completely overshadowed by that of her husband, who was a very peculiar man, and many anecdotes are told of him. He lived many years longer than she, and he often remarked: “IF I’d known my life would spin out to such a dreadful length I ‘d got married again, I would and set up another family.” He had great faith in mistress Warner as he called her. He said “I never knew when I’d eat enough, I didn’t; I guess I’d killed myself, I would, but when Mistress Warner said I’d eat enough, I hitched right back, I did.” Although deprived of Mistress Warner’s watchful care, he lived to the great age of one hundred years.

1812, Ruth Deming’s health failed, and Dr. Long was summoned from Cleveland, but in vain, and one sad day in July 1812, they laid her to rest in the wildwood. The coffin was made from the boards which formed the box of the wagon. This was the first grave in Liverpool cemetery.

War came, with it its alarm that the British and Indians were coming, and the pioneers must flee for their lives. Hastily hiding their valuables , they started Hudson, taking the shortest cut, through field of grain, if need be, to Columbia to join the company formed there. All sorts of vehicles were used, wagons, carts and iron-shod sleds. Mrs. Scofield, with a babe only three days old rode on a bed fastened on the back of a colt, while her husband walked by her side and led it. The vehicles were so poor that every little way one had to be repaired, and when they camped for the night, they had not traveled to average a mile for each hour of time since they had started.

The sheep and loose cattle, many wearing bells, were put together in a drove and driven by boys, making a noise that could be heard a long way. At night they placed no sentries around the camp only one man had a gun, and only two charges of ammunition. With one of these he killed a deer next morning. About one o’clock at night, Levi Bronson brought them word, it was the prisoners whom Hull had surrendered, who were landing, and not an enemy.

They returned to Columbia, and built a block-house, where the women and children remained with a few men to guard them, while the rest returned to their homes and attended their crops, going each night to the block-house for seven long weeks.

By the time peace was so well restored, the women and children dare return to their homes.

About this time Lucinda Terrell was married to Aaron Warner and became a resident of the town. Mrs. John Mallet came also.

Considerable traffic was carried on in salt. Mrs. H.C. Coit, and her husband, who was one of the owners of the “springs” came in 1819, and the name of the town was changed from “Salt Springs” to Maryville, in honor of Mrs. Coit.

Clarissa Cranney was born in Brattleboro, Vermont in 1788. She came to Euclid, where she met Moses Deming, who was teaching school. 1813 they were married and removed to his farm in Liverpool. Sweet tempered and cheerful, she made their home very happy, but their joy was of short duration. After fifteen months of wedded bliss she died leaving a daughter Clarissa, and her grave was the second in the new cemetery.

January, 1813 Miss Harriet Pardee was married to Ebenezer Wilmot. They began their wedded life with a very small store of this world’s good, but rich in health and indomitable energy. Their home was on the old state road, about a mile and a half from Marysville.

Here in the dense forest surrounded by Indians and wild beasts, they laid the foundation of their “Root Tree” which stood for nearly eighty years.

During the first three years of married life two of their children died, and in midwinter their cabin burned with all its contents. Immediately they hired out to Col. Coit until they could rebuild. The Lord prospered them on every hand. The log cabin gave place to a commodious farm house with neighbors on every side. She died at the early age of thirty-five, leaving six children, Ella, Clarinda, Elisha, Pliny, Julia and Delos.

Mrs. Phebe Mathewson became the second wife of Ebenezer Wilmot in 1830. She was a good woman who did what she could for the motherless little ones.

She brought her two children, Emily, aged ten, and William, eight. She afterward had one son, Theodore Wilmot.

Jerusha Russell was born in Windsor, Conn., in 1784 and moved with her parents to Warrensville, Ohio.

While teaching school in Newburgh, she became acquainted with Moses Deming. His motherless babe found no lack of tender hearts among the pioneers, but he felt she needed the watchful care of a mother, and he soon persuaded Jerusha to become his wife, and in the autumn of 1814, she became a resident of Liverpool. Her husband wrote of her – “she proved a tender mother to my children, and one of the best housekeeprs this world affords.”

She was the mother of four children, Ralph, Lucien, Mary Ann and Wealthy. In 1849, while Mr. and Mrs. Deming were crossing the bridge at West View their horse became frightened and threw them to the rocks below, which caused Mrs. Deming’s death in a few days. He recovered from his injurie and lived many years after, dying in 1868 in the home where he first settled in 1811, aged 91.

Much of this history is gleamed from a journal he wrote, for all the lips are now sealed in death that could tell us of these days. In this journal we find an account of a thrilling experience in Jerusha Russell’s life. She was lost in the woods December 31, 1812, while traveling from Newburgh to her father’s house four miles distant, and not found for two days. Her sufferings from the cold and hunger were severe, and when rescued her feet were frozen.

In 1814, Mrs. John Cossett, nee Rebecca Hine and husband, with their four daughters, Isabinda, Esther, Alma and Almeda, came from Waterbury, Conn. A fifth daughter, Susan was born in Liverpool. Mrs. Cossett died early, but John Cossett lived to be over 90 years old.

Lucinda Terrell was born in Plymouth, Conn. She was married to Aaron Warner as early as 1813 or 1814, but as the family are all gone little can be told of her. She was the mother of four children, Maria, Harris, Harry and Rhoda. She lived in Liverpool till the death of her husband in 1878, when she removed with her sons to Missouri where she died.

Desire Bronson became the wife of Noah Warner. It is recorded she was present when Ruth Deming died in 1812, therefore must have been one of the earliest settlers. She has two daughters who died maidens. Elizabeth was insane for several years, and Julia, a lovely girl was one of the early school teachers.

Ruth Davis and her husband, Robert Loomis, became residents about 1814. They had three daughters born in Liverpool. Rosilla married Sidney Downey, Orvilli, Philo French, and Phebe, Humphrey Arnold.

About 1815 came Mrs. Daniel Golden with her husband and two daughters, Joanna, married Daniel Ford, and Polly Robert Carr.

Robert Carr, Sr., and Alice his wife, came in 1816, from New Hampshire. With then came two daughters Fermilla and Sallie; the former married Waitstill Hastings, and the latter, Justus Warner, Jr.

In this year came also Mrs. Seth Thomas, nee Susan Cossett with her husband and daughter Mary, who married Leonard Tillotson. They were from Waterbury, Conn.

From the same place the same year cam Mrs. Clarissa Warner, and William her husband, and settled on the farm where they remained till death removed them in very old age.

Aunt Clara was a woman of great energy, and of rare powers of body and mind. Petite and dainty, yet she courageously met and performed all the duties of a pioneer housewife. Her character was so well rounded that in whatever she did she excelled. Her bread was the lightest, her preserves the finest, her house always in order. A fresh cap and apron were kept close at hand ready to don quickly and thus be always tidy while entertaining friends. She was a great reader and well versed in history, consequently her conversation was instructive and elevating. In the days of her strength she walked with her husband to Medina, a distance of eight miles, and carried home cotton yarn from the store, which she wove into one hundred yards of sheeting and that was how Wm. Warner got his blue broadcloth military pants.

For many months they were without a table, but hearing one for sale, she spun twenty runs of linen yarn, and with the proceeds purchased the table. In her early days she was a trained pupil in the school of industry, and taught that labor was commendable, and when she passed her three score and ten, still spun and made wool into flannel and would have thought it wrong to hire when she could do it and be benefited.

She was the mother of Lucius, Lorenzo and Joseph Warner, all men of sterling worth. Lorenzo was educated was educated for an Episcopal clergyman, but not wishing to preach, he studied medicine and practiced sometime. He afterwards was converted, and became an eloquent Methodist preacher.

Aunt Clara was a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, which at one time has a house of worship near her home and Rev. Bishop Chase and McIlvane, also Revs. Poe, McMahon and Bigelow found pleasant entertainment in her hospitable home.

Clarissa Cranny Deming, born in 1814 as a child saw much of the hardships of pioneer life, and later, bore her share of toil and privation. Generous and sympathetic she often divided her little with the needy. Like her father she was of a literary turn of mind and often penned her thoughts in rhythmic lines, some of which were published. She was married to George Lewis in 1833. In 1850 they moved to Landing, Michigan, where she is still living aged 82. She is the mother of five sons and three daughters, all born in Liverpool, Mrs. Rulison and Mrs. Wm. Olds-Jones of Lansing and Mrs. G.S. Brown, of Detroit. Her second son, Chas. B. Lewis inherits his literary tastes from his mother and is a celebrated write. He is known to the reading world as M. Quad.

In 1820, Mrs. Eliada Warner, nee Margaret Ann Nichols, a bride of seventeen, came with her husband from the culture and comforts of Old Waterbury to the toils and privations of a new country. She was noted for her exquisite neatness in housekeeping. A son and lovely daughter named Emeline were born to them. Emeline married John Stevens, and in a few brief months died leaving an infant son Warner Stevens. The early death of her only daughter, cast a shadow over the remainder of Mrs. Warner’s life. She and her husband lived to be past four score.

Nancy Warner, a sister of Eliada, came at the same time. She became the wife of Lucius Frisbee, and spent the remainder of her life in Liverpool. She has two daughters, Emily, who died a maiden, and Mrs. Chas. H. Brandow, Beebetown, Ohio.

Mary Ann, daughter of Moses and Jerusha Deming, was born in Liverpool, 1819 and at age seventeen was married to Joseph Warren Metcalf. Her wedding journey was taken in an ox cart, while her stalwart husband walked beside the oxen carrying the “persuader.” A journey of four miles through the woods brought them to their rude cabin, where, for a year he had kept bachelor hall. In time the forest were cleared away, their troublesome visitors, the wolves, disappeared. A new house was built, and other homes were planted near them.

Eight children were born to them; two of their sons answered their country’s call. Milo gave his life by slow starvation in Andersonville and the other, Hon. George P. Metcalf of Elyria bore years of terrible suffering brought on by exposure in the army. Her daughters were Mrs. Zadoc Tillotson, And Mrs. Ross Brown of Oberlin and Mrs. Clay Terrell of Cleveland. Mr. And Mrs. Metcalf spent the latter part of their Oberlin, where they were permitted to celebrate their golden wedding. For over thirty years she was a helpless cripple from rheumatism, but her cheerful resignation was like a benediction to all who came within her presence.

Welcome Hill married Lucy Marsh and settled in Liverpool about 1820. They had one daughter, Mrs. Gilbert of Cleveland.

Almon Marsh married Spedie Bates from Vermont, and lived many years on the top of Golden Hill. They has two daughters; Electa married Jason Mathers, and Eliza, A. Compton.

Mrs. Clark Davis, sen. came from Rhode Island. Her maiden name was Mary Bates. She and her husband settled on the hill east of Marysville, probably as early as 1820. Mrs. Davis was nearly or quite six feet in height, spare in flesh, on whose face truth and kindness were written. She was a zealous Christian, and regular in her attendance at the meetings that were held in the old red schoolhouse at Hardscrabble. She always sat on the low front seat, those designed for the smallest scholars. She had a strong, clear falsetto voice, and in fancy we still see her as with closed eyes, and keeping time with both feet, she used to sing, “We are going over Jordon,” with that fervor of one being transplanted to that happy land. She had three sons taller than herself and one daughter, May Ann, who married William Vaughn of Brunswick.

Isabinda Cossett, who married Asaph Robinson in 1814 was the mother of four daughters: Mary Ann married John Ford, Jane, Elijah Walker, Louisa, Frank Reynolds, and Rebecca, Abial Atkinson. Mrs. Robinson survived her husband and married James Wyman receiving from him the tenderest care, in her blind old age, and last sickness.

Almeda Cossett was a young girl when she came from Waterbury to Liverpool in 1814. She was married 1835 to Joseph Shepard. They lived in Liverpool until the infirmities of age compelled them to seek a home with their daughter Eliza in Millbury. She had six children. Her daughters were Mrs. Heli Warner, Liverpool, Mrs., Willard Wight and Mrs. Nelson Sabin, of Millbury, Ohio.

Rebecca Rowel, with her husband, Capt. Heath came in 1824. She died soon after and he married Alma Cossett. They had three daughters, Caroline Chadwick-Hill, Sallie Bogue, and Laura, who died young.

Susan Hampton was born in Erie, Pa., December, 1800. A rude cabin was her first home. The sight of prowling bears, and howling wolves, were among her early recollections. The war of 1812 made her the witness of some tragic scenes, The able-bodied men were in the army, and often a courier riding at the top of his speed crying, “The Indians are coming!” would send the women and children flying to the fort. Susan, then the oldest of five children, would go with some of the younger ones by a path through the woods fearing the bears less than the red-man’s scalping knife. The mother following with a babe in her arms, and each one that could, carry a bundle of clothes or a basket of food. On one of these occasions a mother with a young babe in her arms, fainted, was overtaken by the savages and murdered just as the others were entering the fort. Many heartrending scenes of those dreadful times were vividly remembered by her.

At age seventeen she came with her father to the mouth of Rocky River, where she taught the district school for two years. At nineteen she was married to Enoch Carter. In 1822 they settled in Liverpool. She was the mother of seven children, five sons and two daughters. The eldest daughter, Julia has been engaged in literary work for several years. She married Joseph Aldrich and lives near Wauseon, Ohio. Margaret is Mrs. Fallas of Chicago. Mrs. Carter gave her life with loving devotion to her family, and was regarded with almost worshipful love by each and all of them.

In 1823 Mrs. Abraham Beebe, nee Dorcas Fuller, and family came form Canadaigua, N.Y., and settled on the town line between Liverpool and Brunswick. The settlement has ver been since called Beebetown. She had four daughters; Debby married Hollis Newton. Early in their marriage life he was taken sick, and although he lived to old age, he was always an invalid. She was one of the most patient and devoted of wives, and through all those sad years gave him the tenderest of care and survived him but a short time. She was the mother of James and William Newton.

fanny Beebe married Thomas Alexander. They reside in Lenawee County, Michigan. Hannah Beebe married for her first husband J. hicks, and for her second husband J. Huxley; her third was W.S. Philips. Her home is at Chagrin, Ohio. Rosina Beebe married John Holmes, of Cooper, Michigan.

Mrs. Robert Fuller, husband, two sons and a daughter were natives of Onondaga, N.Y. Her maiden name was Rosina Carpenter. Finding themselves homeless through the dishonesty of a friend they started in 1826 to make a new home in the wilds of Ohio. With a yoke of oxen and a sled, they journeyed in the latter part of winter, and when the snow failed, Mr. Fuller sawed wheels off a log, turning his sled into a wagon. When they reached Liverpool, they had only twenty-five cents in money, and with this they bought some corn meal. Maple tree were abundant, these they tapped, and soon had mush and molasses for so steady a diet, that a son in after years said he could never bear the sight of it again.

The father continued his journey, on foot, toward Columbus, in which place he expected to purchase some land, but there were so many sick along the way, there were not well ones enough to care for them. Discouraged he turned back.

For awhile they lived in a cabin on Mr. Deming’s farm, but later moved to Columbia, where Mr. Fuller was drowned. She spent her last days with her son Joseph in Brunswick. Her daughter is Mrs. Wm. Sheldon, of Coldwater, Michigan.

Meletiah Tillotson was born in 1809 and came to Brunswick when six years of age. Before her marriage she taught school. In 1828 she was married to Lucius Warner and moved to the farm in Liverpool which was ever after their home. She was an excellent housekeeper and careful manager, and did her part toward earning their large property.

She was always ready to help those who tried to help themselves, and gave freely of her abundance to the poor. Three children were born to them, of which only Mary survived. She married Alfred Armstrong. Her home has been for several years in Pasadena, California.

Mrs. Warner was a widow several years. When she passed four score and fell, breaking her hip, and rendering her a great sufferer the remainder of her life.

Mrs. Zara Warden was a resident of the township for a good many years, and died there in old age. She was the mother of Rev. Nathan Warden and was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Her two daughters were Mary and Caroline.

In 1823 David Green, wife and twin girls came from Vermont. Mrs. Green’s maiden name was Sallie Willard. The daughters married brothers. Maria is the wife of Albert Heath and they are among the oldest living residents, he having lived over eighty years in the town. Many of the incidents and dates for this history were furnished by them. They have one daughter, Mrs. H. Morgan, of Oberlin.

Mrs. Whitman Davis has been for most of life a resident of Hardscrabble. She had one pretty daughter Mary, who married Thomas Purdy and moved west, to Missouri.

Joel Terrell and his wife, Loly Hitchcock, and family, came from Connecticut probably as early as 1820. Their children were: Nelson, Martin, Mason, Moses, and Maria. They all married and settled in Liverpool. Martin’s Terrell wife’s first name was Lodema She and her family died long ago in Michigan. Nothing further can be learned of them.

Mrs. Mason Terrell, nee Almira Prichard, was a sister of Sheldon Prichard, a woman of great energy, vivacity and diligence, and a model housekeeper. They were considered among the “well-to-do” class. Her husband was a cattle dealer and much from home in the days when cattle were collected from farmers and driven in large droves on foot, to New York. He died suddenly away from home, leaving her a young widow. Her charms were duly appreciated. She married Abram Teachout as her second husband, Mr. Peck as third, and Mr. Williams as her fourth. She died in Wisconsin several years ago having outlived her last husband. Her daughters were: Mrs. A Whitman, of Royalton; Mrs. John Jordan, of Liverpool; Mrs. C. Olin and Mrs. Lyman Smock, both living in Wisconsin.

Moses Terrell married Sophronia Reed Still, a widow, and half sister of Mrs. Nelson Terrell. They moved to Michigan, where they died. Their daughter, Mrs. Arthur Wykes, lives at Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Elizabeth Prindle, daughter of Elias Prindle and Miranda Warner, and wife of Nelson Terrell, born in Vermont 1800. Her parental grandfather, Daniel Warner was a soldier in the Revolution. When eight years old her father died, and soon after her mother and two daughters removed to New York. Here Elizabeth lived until her marriage and subsequent removal to the wilds of Ohio about 1822. It was no uncommon thing to see wolves with glaring eyes peeping through the windows at night. Bears helped themselves without invitation to such dainties as came their way. Even going to the spring for water was attended with danger, and the young wife had more than one call to exert her bravery or fleetness of foot on account of wild beasts. But this woman, though small of statue, and slender of limb, did not lack the full courage of the daring New Englander.

Her kindly disposition and fearlessness always secured her respectful treatment from the red man. There was an Indian who came by occasionally with his squaw to visit her. He was very fond of his dusky bride, when himself; but when he has taken an overdaught of corn whiskey it transformed him into a demon. On such occasions the squaw would steal away and hide herself. Often in the darkness of night did she seek the protections of the Terrells. She refused to sleep anywhere buy under Mrs. Terrell’s bed where she lay wrapped in a blanket on the hard puncheon floor. In the course of a day or two her brave would come for her, looking very sheepish and with many signs of repentance. Then he would kiss his squaw after the fashion of the white man, and the two would “make up” and depart apparently as loving as a newly married couple. This pantomime was repeated many times during the early years of their life in Ohio.

No hand was more ready with its loving deeds than Mrs. Terrell’s. She was often found at the bedside of the sick and dying, ministering to their comfort as best she might. Like her father, she was of a deeply religious nature. In her church life she was a Methodist. Of six her children three only survived her. Goodwin, the eldest, Edwin the third son, and Jennie Terrell, wife of Chas. Ruprecht, of Cleveland. Euphrasia, wife of Aaron French of Pittsburg, died in 1870.

Mrs. Terrell’s death occurred on the on the anniversary of her sixty-seventh birthday.

Maria Terrell was born in Connecticut and came to Ohio with her father’s family early in the twenties. Here she married Smith Prichard, and together they journeyed past the meridian of life. Fortune favored them in the possession of a beautiful home and a family of eight children, six of whom grew to maturity and married, and are still living, with the exception of the eldest, daughter, Mary, who married Chas. Prichard, of the same name but in no way related. The other daughters are : Sarah, who Wm. Bennet; Jane, Hiram Blair; Helen, Erastus Salisbury; and Minerva, George Lord.

One who knew and loved Mrs. Prichard write of her as a most remarkable woman. She was up in all lines of progressive thought, kept herself informed on the current events of the day, and could converse on such subjects as interested thinking people. No one ever tired of listening to her She was gifted in prayer and exhortation and was a member of the church. She was exceedingly charitable toward the faulty and erring. She was never as “old” woman, though 87 years at the time of her death, for her heart was ever young. She retained her mental vigor until the last.

In 1816 Permilla Carr came to Liverpool with her parents. She married Waitstill Hastings. They lived in a log house on the top of the bill hill called by their name. They had four sons. The daughters were: Mrs. Lucinda Deming, Mrs. Geo. Ames and Mrs. Lake. Her husband died in middle age, and she had a hard struggle for existence. But at last an old suitor in Michigan claimed her hand and gave her a comfortable home.

Weltha, youngest daughter of Moses and Jerusha Deming, was bon in Liverpool in 1824. Her paternal grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution. She was married to Joseph Fuller in 1842. Sympathetic and kind-hearted she was “aunt” to all the neighborhood, and an especial favorite with children. Happy in the service of her Master, her faith grew stronger and hope brighter to the close of her life. An only daughter died in the bloom of womanhood. One son survives her.

Lucinda Hastings was born in Liverpool in 1820 and was wedded to Lucien Deming in 1842. She was a devoted wife and loving mother. In her childhood she knew the trials of pioneer life and their early removal to the wilds of Michigan brought them similar hardships. She died in the hope of a better life beyond. One daughter, Julia was born in Liverpool.

Julia Wilmot, daughter of Ebenezer and Harriet Wilmot, was born in Liverpool, 1826. She was married to Miles Spooner, and was the mother of three children, Mary, Martha and Joseph. For several years she lived on her father’s old homestead, where she died 1892.

In 1830 Fidelia Mathers came with her sister, Mrs. James Olin from Wyoming, N.Y. She married Erastus Tillotson and resided in the village. Her haughty carriage was not an indication of a haughty spirit, for those who knew her best found her a woman of warm and tender sympathies. She was a prominent member of the M.E. church. For several she lived in Lansing, Michigan.

Louisa Mathers married Eri Warner. At one time she was the landlady of the hotel, and lived in the finest house in the village, but the intemperance of her husband shadowed her life and robbed it of its sweetest joys. Later they moved to Michigan, where God’s spirit led him to repentance and a new life. She had one daughter Francelia.

Eunice Lamphere married Justus Warden about 1838. She was a delicate, sweet-faced, a devoted Christian and quite gifted in speech and prayer. Within ten years after her marriage she was left a widow with two sons. Homer soon died. In a short time she married Rev. Wm. Sewel, a religious fanatic from whom she was divorced. The last known she was living with her son Milton Warden, near New Philadelphia, Ohio.

Rhoda Warner was the youngest child of Aaron and Lucinda Warner. Like her sister she had the ready wit of the Warners, and wrote some spicy articles for publications. She was married when very young to Chistopher Olin. He caught gold fever in ’49 and went to California, leaving her with a young babe. She went home to her mother and afterward attended school. After several years she had proof of death of her husband and married Dexter Hinkley, a school teacher. They moved to Missouri, where she lately died.

Mrs. Heli Warner and her husband are the oldest couple living in Liverpool who were born there. He is past four score years, and over seventy years she has witnessed the growth and changes. For nine long months the shadow of Andersonville rested on their home before their son John was released. Mrs. Warner’s memory of the early days is still quite good and she gave many dates and incidents for our centennial history.

In the year 1839 the good people of Liverpool were greatly shocked by the appearance of Alpheus Warner in their midst with a new wife, whom he married in New York while spending some time there, ostensibly buying goods. She was of Irish birth, quick and bright and never known by any other name but Katie. There was a war of words, Katie claiming she supposed him a single man when she married him. Wife No. 1 held the fort and the newly married retired to the store, where they lived till better accommodations could be provided. The law was not called in force, but some boys expressed public opinion by decorating their dwelling with ancient eggs. In a few months Katie became the mother of a beautiful boy, who as he developed, became a bond of sympathy between the two wives, and they were seen walking together leading the child between them. Katie conducted herself so circumspectly that she in a measure lived down her disgrace. She was quite a business woman, and after her husband’s death she and her son moved to Cleveland, where they both died.

Sally Urania, daughter of Alpheus and Minerva Warner, born in Liverpool 1812, was a most peculiar character. Her portly person was often seen and heard at celebrations and public gatherings where she delighted to tell the people she was the “first white child born in Medina County,” and exhibit her bravery by firing a gun. She married Joab Marsh, but insisted on being the head of the house and her turbulent spirit made them unhappy.

She had one daughter who was a dwarf, and another married a man by the name of Noble and moved to Wood County, where she was murdered by her husband. A stone in Liverpool cemetery tells the terrible story.

Mr. Marsh died, but she was not convinced, it is said, till she touched him with fire and found he did not flinch, then her demonstrations of grief were loud. She has inscribed on his grave stone: “The beloved husband of Sally U. Marsh,” her name being in such large characters it is often taken for her tombstone.

At age fifty she married Fred Thamert, a young German of only half her age. Her life still has its conflicts, but she had one daughter after this marriage. They moved to Cleveland and in her old age she met the fate of her mother. Her husband brought home a new wife and she took no legal steps to maintain her rights, but lived in sorrow and bitterness to the close of her life.

Old Mrs. Pierce lived with her son in northeast part of town and was quite aged when she died there. She was the mother of Minerva who married George Gaylord, Mary Ann, wife of Harris Warner. The latter had two daughters, Mrs. David Hayfield, of Medina, N.Y. and Mrs. Water Richmond, of Niagara Falls, N.Y. Mrs. Warner moved to Missouri.

Mrs. Harry Warner’s maiden name was Lucinda Bates. They live in Hardscrabble, and in the early days of Spiritualism she was a medium. She died there leaving two daughters, Lucinda and Lavina the wife of David Clark.

Mrs. John Pierce was Martha Blantern. She is the mother of Mrs. Koen and Harriet. The family moved to York, Medina, Ohio.

Mrs. George Pierce lived in a neat pretty house in the northeast part of the township. She had one daughter, Angeline, who received the most careful training. They moved west.

Maria Warner was the oldest daughter of Aaron and Lucinda Warner. She married Henry Pierce about 1837 and spent several years in the village. She was bright and witty and possessed an artistic temperament. For some time she had a studio in her house, where she “took pictures.” She moved to Grafton and died, leaving two sons.

Mrs. Eugene Gilchrist was a native of County Downs, near Belfast, Ireland. Her maiden name was Betsey Clark. Her brother John Clark, came to the United States first, and wrote her such glowing accounts of the country, she decided to follow him. She was a widow and the mother of seven children, the youngest quite small. The laws of Ireland forbade selling the home till the youngest child was of age, but she sold her household goods and managed to secure enough for transportation. Because of their inability to sell their home they saw very hard times.

Their journey across the Atlantic was fraught with so much danger the mother would never consent to the return of one of her children to claim their property. Their daughters were Betsey and Jane, the first married C.M. Aldrich, or Berea, and the last Elder Warner Beebe, of Beebetown.

Martha Sartwell married Eugene Gilchrist, Jr. They lived in the northwest part of town for several years and they removed to Cleveland. They had one daughter, Lovisa, who married John Bleil, of Brunswick.

In the same part of town in early days lived a family by the name of Lilly. There were two sons and two daughters who were a quartette of beautiful singers. They had more culture and refinement than the majority of people in those days.

After a time people began settling at the center of Liverpool, and the glory of Marysville began to depart. It was sometime called by the suggestive name , Hardscrabble and the name still clings to it.

Mrs. Barney Spooner, who was Polly Buffam, was a long resident on Spooner hill. Their house was built of Brick and was so peculiar in construction it was called the castle. The house still remains, while its former occupants are mouldering to dust. She was the mother if four children. Her daughters were Mrs. J. Hudson, of Liverpool, and Mrs. Lou Whitney, of Cleveland.

Mrs. Kebbie was another resident of Hardscrabble, who came about 1830. Her first husband’s name was Parker. Her son, Lemuel B. Parker began practicing medicine at this time. She had one daughter, Mrs. John Dye, born after her second marriage. Mrs. Kebbie was a woman of fine intellectual powers. She was cared for in her old age by her daughter; Rachel Parker Johnston. Her granddaughter, Mehitable Parker, who has lived with her for several years, married Goodwin Terrell.

After practicing a couple of years Dr. Parker returned east and brought back a bride, Her maiden name was Maria Hastings. She was well educated and a great reader, a fit companion for her learned husband. She had a large family of three boys and seven girls, from whom she was suddenly taken while yet comparatively young. The daughters living are Mrs. D. Watson and Mrs. E. Riddles, of Berea; Mrs. Wm. Cooper, of Louisville, Kentucky; and Mrs. George Warner, of Cleveland. Her husband survived her many years and for about sixty years was a physician in Liverpool.

In 1830 the Olins came. Mrs. James Olin, nee Maria Mathers, was born in 1805 in Wyoming, N.Y., and married James M. Olin in 1821. She was woman of rare culture and great personal beauty. She lived a most exemplary Christian life, an active member of the M.E. church. The life and character of Maria Olin will always remain an influence for all that is pure and good, and her name held in loving remembrance by all who knew her. She died 1880. Her daughters are Mrs. Ella Wilmot, of Oberlin, and Mrs. Hiram Richmond of Liverpool.

Mrs. Peleg Olin and family settled in the center of town. She died soon after, leaving three daughters and an infant son. The daughters were Mrs. Sidney Poole, Mrs. Pling Wilmot, and Caroline. In a short time Peleg Olin married the widow Mathers, who had two sons and a daughter, Mrs. Brown, of Cleveland.

She afterward became the mother of Mrs. E. Beach, of Bradner, Ohio. During an epidemic of cholera, Peleg Olin and one of the Mather’s boys and a daughter Angeline died. Mrs. Olin afterward married James Olin, and moved to Wood County.

Sometime during the thirties, two English families, the Woodards and the Mayo’s came. In the cemetery we find this record: “Elizabeth Mayo, daughter of Rev. Joseph Mayo, A.M.E. Ae. Nos. Oxon, formerly of Brow Cottage, Dervizes, England, 1839, aged 17.”Somne of the family of Mayo’s are in Chicago. It is said both families were very refined and had large libraries, There is a house still standing which was built by the Woodards. In its days it was quite pretentious, finished inside with black walnut, It was Dr. Parker’s farm house.

Mary Olin was born in Wyoming, N. Y. and came with her father, James Olin to Liverpool in 1832, and was married in 1842 to Ela Wilmot. She was a good neighbor, a careful industrious helpmeet, and a devoted mother. Mr. and Mrs. Wilmot have been residents of Oberlin for several years. They had two sons and two daughters, Harriet and Emily. The first married Chas. Carrington, of Washington, D.C. and the last is the wife of G.J. Jones, M.D., dean of the new homeopathic college, Cleveland. Eliza Buffam was of French origin and was born in Maine. She married Wm. Tyler and was one of the early settlers in Liverpool. They had three daughters, Mrs. Alvin Robinson, Mrs. Peter Peck and Mrs. Wm. Worth. They remained in Liverpool till the two oldest daughters were married and had families, when they all removed to Michigan.

Polly Golden came with her father’s family from New York very early. She married Robert Carr. She spent the remainder of her life in the township except for a time while her husband was county treasurer, when they lived in Medina. She was of a retiring disposition, not mingling in society much, and seemed to find her chief delight in making home happy. One daughter, Mrs. F. Dell, survives her.

Mrs. Carr’s sister, Joanna, married Daniel Ford and lived in the southern part of town. Mrs. Ford had two daughter, Diana, who married Mr. Wool, and Clarinda, who lives a maiden.

One of the very early settlers was Mrs. Wm. Sprague, who came from near Albany, N.Y. She was an invalid and did not live many years. Her husband then married the Widow Harrington, whose daughters were Mrs. John J. Lester and Mrs. James Stuart.

Persis Hubbard was born in 1792 at Leicester, Mass. She was married to Lot Hancock in 1816 and moved to Wallingford, Rutland County Vermont, the same year where they lived until 1835, when they came to Liverpool. Here she remained till 1878, when she went to live with her daughter, Harriet Seybould in Hillsdale, Michigan, where she died in 1880. For sixty-two years she was a member of the church. She was the mother of thirteen children, eight of whom were daughters. Four died in infancy. Catherine, the eldest, never married; Eliza and Sanford Moon were married 1841; Sophia and Levi Sabin, 1845; Harriet and Wm. Seybould, 1864.

About 1835 Caroline Gordon became the wife of Virgil Warden and moved to Liverpool. She came from Columbia, where her family were among the wealthiest. She had enjoyed good educational advantages and had been a school teacher. She was an Episcopalian, but there being no church of her choice in town, she attended regularly the M.E. church. She died in the prime of her life, leaving two sons and a daughter, Mrs. Mary Eggleston, of Columbia.

In 1836 Rev. Wm. Mudiman and his wife, Mary came from London, England. Very little is known of her family, save that she was disinherited because of marrying a Baptist preacher. She was a lady of high intellectual attainments, culture and refinement. She seemed to find her ideal in her husband who wrote sermons of great depth and power. She had no knowledge of cooking and was taught the useful art by her little neighbor, Rhoda Warner, who could inquire of her mother, so that she soon became quite proficient. She strictly adhered to her quaint English ways and preserved the same style of dress to the day of her death. It seemed a part of her individuality.

We can never forget how she used to appear regularly at Sunday service in her pretty silk gowns, short and scant with empire waists and her hair in short curls on her forehead. She wore a large shirred silk bonnet and lovely white India crepe shawl, and in cold weather a fine Paisley, something very rare in those days. In 1849 she was left a widow, poor and childless. She afterward married Mr. Marsh, of Pittsfield and spent the remainder of her life in Oberlin, dying in very old age, but never to her dearest friend revealing her early history.

In 1838 there came from Cazenovia, N.Y., Mr. Edmund Parmalee and wife, Camilla Reynolds, and his brother, Sanford Parmalee. She was a woman of fine qualities of mind and heart. She has two lovely daughter, Mary Ellen and Aurelia. The first married Robert Barnard who soon died, after which she married Mr. Scofield. Aurelia became Mrs. Bixby. The family moved to Lansing, Michigan.

Sanford Parmalee married Clarinda Wilmot. In a few years she died leaving two little boys, Delos and Charles. Later he was married to Miss Fanny Fields, of Eaton. She survived him a few years, dying suddenly in 1896, leaving two sons and two daughters. Susan the eldest, married Dr. Hobson, of Rocky River.

In 1842 Wm. Parmalee, wife and two daughters came from Cazenovia, N. Y. “Aunt Mary, ” as we called her was one of the four Reynolds sisters who came to Liverpool. They were all bright, intellectual and well educated, and great helps to society and the church. Wm. Parmalee died four years afterward, leaving her with the care and maintenance of three little girls. Necessity compelled her to seek employment. She taught school, took up the business of millinery, and for several years was considered the best in the region. Her daughters were Jasmine, Frances, and Betty. The first named became the second wife of James Goodrich, of Liverpool. The second is Mrs. Wm. Biddle, of Cleveland.

Mrs. John Leicester was the wife of the postmaster in 1846. Her maiden name was Ann Harrington, and she was a native of New York. They lived in a log house, in which the office was kept. She was the mother of a bevy of pretty girls. Abigail and Melissa married brothers, named Teachout, and live in Michigan. Tryphena was the second wife of Emory Poole; her home, Fort Wayne, Indiana. Ester Ann is Mrs. Morgan of the same city. Ellen and Augusta married husbands whose names are not known to the writer.

Mrs. Lester Tubbs, nee Julia Gregory, was another of the good women of the village. Her sympathies were quick and tender. The memory of her good deeds still lingers in the hearts of the recipients. She had two sons and three daughters. Adeline became Mrs. Frank Parton; Eliza married Mr. Davidson. They all reside in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Mrs. Ralph Deming, nee Mary Eliza Phelps, was born 1818 near Akron. She was the daughter of Timothy and Mary Phelps, both natives of Vermont. Mrs. Phelps’ father, Wm. Hulburt, was a soldier in the Revolution. Mrs. Deming came a bride to Liverpool and settled in the ancestral home. She was a most energetic housekeeper, hospitable and generous. Her was a home for the homeless, and quite a number beside her own family found it the dearest spot on earth.

The death of her husband in the noonday of the life, soon followed by the death of her oldest son, left her with the care of her aged father, Moses Deming, and three children, together with the management of a large farm. For over twenty-five years she was been a resident of Oberlin, in the enjoyment of well-earned competence and rest. She has one son, Albert, living in Oberlin, and three daughters. Those born before 1850 are Mary, who married Dr. J.E. Parker, of Berea, and Martha, who in Mrs. John Warner of Berea.

Mrs. Joseph Warner’s maiden name was Emily Mathewson. She was born in Columbia in 1820. In 1830 she became the step-daughter of Ebenezer Wilmot and has ever since resided in Liverpool. Her long life, adorned with all the Christian graces, is one worthy of imitation. Her eldest daughter, Ellen, was preceptess for some time in Berea university, and then gave her life to mission work. She was sent to Poona, India, where she met and married Rev. D.O. Fox. Olive, the second daughter, married Prof. Torbet, of Oregon.

In the years 18830 and 1834 a large number of German Families came to the southern part of Liverpool from Wuertemberg, Bavaria and Prussia. Among the first women were Mrs. Frederick Swartz, Mrs. Andrew Metzger, Mrs. Andrew Reich, nee Kusfus, Mrs. Conrad Schneider, Mrs. Fredrich Keas Steck, Catherine Hering, who married John J. Behner, and Mary Elizabeth Schneider, who later married John G. Wolpert: Margaret Baerz, who married Henry C. Haserdolt.

Through agents interested in the Western Reserve land Co., at New York and Baltimore, they were directed to Cleveland, and through agents at Cleveland they bought land in small tracts of 25 to 50 acres.

Some of the agents took advantage of their ignorance of the country and they were sadly deceived and disappointed to find their purchased homes a dense forest. Some of the old settlers, however, gave them shelter in their old vacant cabins and sheds until they cut the timber and cleared a spot to build one of their own.

The oddity of these foreigners in their dress, and the effect of the long and tedious journey of weeks and even months, made a visible but not so inviting impression, and some of the older pioneers were not so cordial in giving them, a welcome, yet some with nobler impulses, by their sympathy and helpful hands, immortalized their names.

Among those who deserve special mentions are Moses Deming, Justin and William Warner, and others.

Volumes could be written of these pioneer women; how they endured privations and hardships, and how their poverty ofttimes came to their rescue as a mother of invention; how they toiled for weeks and months to cut ground with little one sleeping in a cradle hewed out of a log and placed for shelter under some tree where the mothers eye could watch them while their hands were swinging the ax, the sickle, or the hoe.

In most cases the men went thirty and forty miles to work on the canal to get a little money, and the mothers, with their children, tilled the ground. The products they carried from five to eight miles on their heads to market, when eggs were two cents per dozen and maple sugar three cents a pound. Mrs. Fredrich Wormstick, Mrs. Carl Geier, and Mrs. Andrew Metzger, each by day’s work, such as washing and house cleaning, and walking from three to eight miles to get it, paid for the first cows they had.

The deep religious principles of these mothers are worthy of special mention. They “kept the Sabbath” and taught their children to do so, and God prospered them so that most of them lived to enjoy ease and comfort of earthly goods.

It was not an uncommon thing for many of these mothers to put their children to bed Saturday evening early, so as to be able to give them a clean suit of dress by washing and drying them for Sunday morning.

In seven states of our Union pulpits of the various denominations are filled, and some with marked distinction, by descendants of these mothers. While nearly as many daughters “hold up” the arms of those who proclaim the message of “peace and good will.”

The first church was a “hewed” log house which was erected by united efforts when most of the families had barely the comforts of life. At present seven-eighths of the whole township are Germans, with five churches and good congregations.

Among the first deaths was Mrs. Maria Kern, wife of John G. Wollpert, who left four small children. A few days before she passed away her oldest boy, the Rev. John G. Wollpert, of Stuttgart, Germany, asked her if she would plant some seed he had in his little hand, when she laid her hand upon his head and said: “My child, I will plant no more, but I go to the harvest.”

Most of these mothers raised large families. Mrs. Andrew Reich, nee Margaret Kurfus, was the mother of nine daughters. The nine sisters had a reunion last year at the golden wedding of Mrs. Fuller at Beebetown, the oldest sister being seventy-seven and the youngest fifty-four. Five of the were widows: Catherine, William Powell; Margaret, Mrs. Elic Synder; Christiana, Mrs. F.J. Lambert; Eva, Mrs. F. Granger; Caroline, Mrs. Capt. V. Hechman. Parmelia married Felix Nicols of Cleveland, and Miss Sarah and Miss Julia also live in that city. Cleveland is the home of many Liverpool’s children, some holding positions of trust, and a goodly number are classed among her most honored and prosperous citizens shoe homes beautify the leading avenues of the city.

Mrs. Mary R. Parker,
Chairman and Historian.

Liverpool Committee – Mrs. Mary Gomer, of Cleveland; Mrs. Heli Warner, Mrs. Mary R. Carr, Mrs. Hiram Richmond, Mrs. Albert Heath.


If you have questions or data that you would like to share, please email us!